SESSION 53l: DAY 23 – THE CAVES OF CHAOS
· The bugbears have taken their first casualty and have sustained over 50% casualties and must make two morale checks. On the first morale check they roll 10 on 2d6 against a morale 9 and break and run towards the back of the cave.
· As they flee, Talmark gets an attack of opportunity against one of the infants. He swings his two handed sword but misses the little monster. (6/12)
· Determined to capitalise upon the momentum of his charge Talmark yells out “It’s all good” and charges directly east but he misses the heavily wounded female. (4/12)
· Malandir takes his shot against the flat footed juvenile in the north eastern corner but the arrow bounces off the wall behind the infant. (8/12)
· Per charges in to support the flank of Talmark. He stabs at the female and the momentum of his charge is sufficient for him to beat her defences and with the blow striking deep he delivers 13pts of damage, finishing his opponent. He decides to Cleave and to use the reach of his glaive to attack one of the more dangerous males at the back of the group. His enemy stands ruined before him, held up only until Per reclaims his gore stained weapon that had just delivered 16pts of damage. (8/16) (19/27)
· The only straight charge that Kord can conduct is against the infant in the north eastern corner. Yelling “For the First God” he charges and delivers an explosive uppercut that flips his opponent clean over and leaves them in a motionless heap as he delivers 6pts of damage. (16/21)
· Under the direction of Lucien, Barret and Clovis are ordered to rush into the room and take up positions to attack next round. He holds Fremont back to keep watch down the corridor and as a tactical reserve.
· Lucien advances 10ft and casts Murderous Command upon the last remaining male. The bugbear will need to make a Will save against DC15. It has a Will save modifier of +1 and hence will need to roll a 14 or better and it rolls 17 and shrugs off the spell.
· Being trapped, the bugbears have no option but to try to fight back.
· The southern most infant pulls out a nasty looking small short sword and stabs at Barret but just misses the surprised man at arms. (13/15)
· The remaining infantry attacks Talmark but she also misses. (6/8)
· The female 5ft steps to the north and attacks Kord but she cannot hit her heavily armoured foe. (9/13)
· The male advances 10ft to the north north west. In doing so it triggers an attack of opportunity from Per with his glaive. Distracted for a moment as the bugbear advances, Per simply sticks the monster with the pointy end of his weapon and delivers 12pts of damage almost dropping the it. (15/21)
· Howling with outrage the bugbear swings its morning star at Per. It slaps Per’s defences aside as it delvers a smack of a blow and 7pts of damage. (16/21)
· Clovis attacks the male but his swing is wide. (3/4)
· Barret attacks the little monster in front of him but he too cannot get to grips with his enemy. (4/5)
· Kord attacks the heavily wounded male trying to clear the way for the stronger Per to take on more dangerous foe. He just hits the beast in the chest and delivers 7pts of damage, finishing it. (14/17)
· Per uses the reach of his glaive to attack the female. A bold under thrust goes under her defence and skewers into her lower half, delivering 15pts of damage. He immediately cleaves at the deadly infant to the front of Talmark but is unable to hit her. (12/18) (6/12)
· Talmark attacks his foe but misses as she ducks under his attack. (1/7)
· Malandir advances 10ft to the east to get a better shot and looses an arrow at Barret’s foe but he too misses. (5/10)
· Lucien and Fremont reserve their actions.
REST OF THE FIGHT
The remaining two infants fight to the death. Whilst they are quickly overwhelmed, one of them is able to get a nasty stab into Barret which delivered 4pts of damage.
Checking the room they find 70gp, 3 morning stars, 6 long swords, 3 small short swords and 12 sets of ears. Malandir’s sharp eyes also locates a silver urn near the fireplace, which had been blackened by soot. He estimates it’s worth 175gp.
They review their loot and find that they have gathered the following:
A quick check of consumables shows the following:
The party feel that they have gained a lot of experience:
Lucien, Kord, Talmark and Malandir have gained enough experience to progress to 3rd level once they reach civilization. Per has advanced a lot but needs another 1,500 or so xp to get to 5,000 and third level.