SESSION 53e: DAY 23 – THE CAVES OF CHAOS
· The scared Bugbear’s Fear token is reduced from 3 to 2 and Kord’s Copy Cat token is reduced from 2 to 1.
· Astonished at the powerful hits the burly warrior is absorbing, Lucien sticks behind Talmark, taking out and reading off another curative scroll to keep him in the fight. The gifts of Asmodeus coursing through him, Talmark heals back 5pts of damage.
· Barret slashes at the Bugbear confronting him but just misses as the Bugbear ducks under his attack. The Bugbear looks back at Barret with a devilish grin of malevolent evil which sends a shudder down the warriors spine. (15/16)
· Kord takes a 5ft step to the south with the intent of next round starting to get a flank on the Bugbear. He swings at the monster with his heavy mace but is unable to hit his opponent. (10/13)
· Per steps forward south west 5ft to attack the Bugbear who has been attacking Talmark. He reasons that if he is able to take it down he’ll immediately be able to Cleave and help Kord and Barret on the southern Bugbear. He notices in his opponents eagerness it leaves a gap and he runs the Bugbear through with the point of his weapon delivering 11pts of damage and almost killing the monster. In a flurry of motion he immediately cleaves at the enemy to his flank. The Bugbear to his south east is now distracted and flanked by Kord which makes it an easier target for the skilled warrior. The blow strikes true but cannot penetrate the Bugbears armour. (11/17) (2/10)
· Feeling his strength come back to him from the gifts of Asmodeus and Lucien, Talmark 5ft steps to the west and attacks his now weakened opponent. Felldrac bites deep. The mighty overhand swing ends his enemy’s existence and leaves the two handed sword wet with the gore of his opponent as he delivers 12pts of damage. He swings the sword again at the rightfully scared Bugbear, confident in the knowledge that his attack will not break Lucien’s Fear spell. He staggers his opponent with an on onslaught of strikes as he critically hits his adversary delivering 30pts of damage. (16/21) (19/25) (17/22 – confirms the critical hit).
· Seeing that the Bugbears in the west have been finished by Talmark and Per, Malandir draws his bow and fires at the opponent of Barret and Kord but the arrow flies wide. (4/9)
· Seeing that Per is off balance by his Cleave attack (ie the -2 to AC) the Bugbear turns on the deadly warrior. Swinging its massive morning star however it isn’t able to hit the human. (6/11)
The rest of the combat is mercifully short with the party quickly surrounding and cutting down the beast.
The party rushes over to their heavily wounded men at arms whilst Malandir keeps watch at the entry to the room.
The ordeal of being beaten and captured and the possibility of prolonged torture before probably death has played on the minds of Fremont and Clovis. [DM’s Note: 1-2 = permanently scarred, this NPC will not want to go hunting monsters anymore and will have -5 to any future morale checks, 3-4 = its part of the job, this NPC will shake off the encounter, 5-6 = hatred, this NPC will hate all monsters and get a +5 to any future moral checks. Fremont roll = 3, Clovis roll = 3.] Both men however are veterans now and they shake off end encounter, happy to have been rescued by their patrons.
They search the bodies of the Bugbears and find 66gp, four morning stars and two long swords. They cut the ears from the monsters. They look at the armour of the monsters but it’s worthless.
Malandir notices the large gong on the western wall and is thankful that none of the monsters were able to get to it in time. Only Asmodeus knows what it would have brought down on them if it had been rung.